About Me

My photo
I am the ultimate Clayton's runner, but hey! At least I'm having a crack.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

If only there was a pill.

Let me preface this post by saying this: Drugs are not the answer.
Right, now that's over with, I sometimes dream of being able to take narcotics to keep me skinny, as long as they 1. wouldn't cause me to have an addition 2. wouldn't get me arrested and 3. wouldn't do any long term damage to my body or mind. Clearly I am already out of my mind.

I lovingly recall that old line from Absolutely Fabulous where Patsy says to Eddy "Sweetie, you need to lose weight the traditional way...cigarettes and laxatives." I love that line...probably a little tooo much.

What I'm getting at is that it's days like today that I wish there was a pill. Not just a skinny pill, but a motivation pill; a consistency pill; a determination pill; a self confidence pill. Get my drift? I was supposed to run this morning but slept in instead. Went to bed too late. Felt a bit meh when I got up. Took the easy way out.

But instead of a pill, what I really need is a teaspoon of cement. Last weekend, I watched Dodgeball with a bunch of friends. It was a stupid, hilarious and super funny flick. Totally juvenile and great. There's this scene in it where Lance Armstrong randomly runs into Vince Vaughan's character, Peter La Fleur, at an airport, and gives him a royal kick up the bum for bailing out of the of Dodgeball championship. It goes like this...
(and thanks to IMDB for the transcript)

Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.
Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that's keeping you from the finals?
Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.

Am I the only one who has had these moments?!? A healthy dose of perspective can be a great motivator. I've mentioned a couple of times my friends GP and BS who are both in the fights of their lives at the moment - both against cancer. I think of GP a lot when I'm running because I know he wishes he could ditch the chemo and go for a jog.

I hope I'm not getting to preachy but here's the thing. Lives that look outwards are always going to be so much more powerful and impacting that those which are focused on self. It's just the way it is.

So the bad news is, there is NO pill (damn it). But the good news is, none of us really has to look that far to find some real motivation ...

Chat soon
GT



2 comments:

  1. Too true mate...great stuff....and I wonder if the makers of Dodgeball would realise how inspiring they were... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm enjoying this mood contemplating both sides of the coin - if only there was a pill vs personal responsibility.
    Damn - "WORK is what it takes" is such a boring mantra!
    PS: If you haven;t already, check out Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

    ReplyDelete